PICTURES & THINGS

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Guess Who Came to Visit? Breast Cancer

Yes, May 21, 2010 was the day I found the tumor and the journey began. June was spent in Dr.'s offices, having tests and biopsies, and bad news.

June 30, we went to Seton Hospital, and a double mastectomy. I opted for that, as I didn't want to go through the operation again, and all the Chemo that followed. Pretty tough for someone in their mid seventies. But, we made it.

Chemo began 3 weeks later, July 21st. OMG, that big treatment (4 of them) is a tough one. There are things that happen to your body you never thought would .. and although it is a white cell grabber, you do get back to a decent level before the next treatment. (3 weeks apart) My first treatment my cell count a week later was .5. I felt as if someone had beaten me up and left me to walk home! The second treatment it went down to .6 and believe me, I thought it was much higher.

First treatment was rough. The second one so far has been a lot easier. I am going in Wednesday for my 3rd, and it may sound weird, but I am looking forward to it.

It kills cancer cells. Yes, it kills some good ones too, but at least a healthy body can regenerate those cells. The day after the injections you get a shot to help build white cells. Mine went from .5 to 10.8 before second Chemo. I will find out Wednesday what they are this round.

Although it is a mean 3 months, it gets better they say. My next round will be once a week, for 12 weeks, then Radiation. Long way to go, but I just like to think about today. Although weak, I do feel pretty good. Have an appetite, and that is good. Protein is good for getting back your strength.

I have a hard time with the 60 oz of liquid a day. I try, but ...

I have had a little problem with the stitch area on the right side, and have been on antibiotics for 10 days and am back on them again for another 5. You see, with no immune system, you don't want to get an infection.. I stay home most of the time. Went out to a store and had some fun after my first treatment, but it is scary, and not worth it!!!

Well, I am nearly 1/2 way through the first rounds, and am determined to beat this nasty disease. I will give it all I have, and there has been a lot of help. Prayers, cards, emails, and just a lot of great help. I could never thank my son for all he has done. He has been there every day since this all began. What a lucky mom, to have someone who does so much. Thanks John, you are the best.

1 Comments:

Blogger ATexasFan said...

Been on the Taxol now for 7 weeks. I have 12 total. It is not as bad, but I would rather be smelling the grass and outside doing fun things. It is ok.. I will be back. I have faith that these treatments are doing their duty! KILLING CANCER CELLS.

Amen

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home